[Samba] Windows XP slow access to network places shortcut?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Mon May 24 16:01:44 GMT 2004

Clint Sharp wrote:

> Your fileserver already has wins support = yes, which means it's acting
> as a WINS server.  Remove all the remote browse announce stuff from all
> your configs, set all your clients to use your fileserver as your WINS
> server, and see what happens to your performance.  Let me know if it
> doesn't improve after doing that.

This problem can be cured by setting the appropriate registry settings
on the XP workstation to not try to use packet signing when talking to
the Samba server. Search the list archives for that term, you should
find the appropriate entries. If you have a W2K3 domain controller you
can also do it via Group Policy there.

The root cause appears to be that when XP is making a connection to the
server it's trying to use packet signing even though Samba doesn't
support what it wants, and it takes some time for the connection to
"fall back". When you browse via Network Places, the connection has to
be made each time you click on a directory, rather than only once when
you use a mapped drive.