[Samba] samba for Rational Clearcase.

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Mon May 24 12:59:21 GMT 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 02:12:27AM -0400, Shashidhar SR wrote:

    Shashidhar> Hello,

    Shashidhar> I am Shashidhar SR Working for Siemens Communication
    Shashidhar> Software in Bangalore, INDIA as a Configuration
    Shashidhar> Manager for Clearcase.

    Shashidhar> I need some help regarding the samba configuration at
    Shashidhar> our site.

    Shashidhar> First Let me Explain our Environment:

Your question would be better answered on the ClearCase mailing list

See

http://www-136.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/

OR

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=333&cat=24&hideBody=true

    Shashidhar> - We are Using samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 9.  - We are
    Shashidhar> using samba as an interop from Solaris 9 box to
    Shashidhar> winnt/w2k/win-xp clients.  - On Solaris we have
    Shashidhar> installed IBM Rational Clearcase and we have around 20
    Shashidhar> VOBs created.

    Shashidhar> Now we are successfully able to access the
    Shashidhar> files/directories which are stored on unix from
    Shashidhar> windows clients.

    Shashidhar> Some times we get an error saying "Incorrect function"
    Shashidhar> on the windows clients, when trying to access some
    Shashidhar> .txt/.cpp/.h or any other text files.  and this error
    Shashidhar> is very sporadic, for some people it's works and for
    Shashidhar> others it dosen't, eventhough the permissions are same
    Shashidhar> for all the users.

This is usually a permission problem related to the ALBD service
account. It may also be due to a permission problem on the VOB storage
directories.

What does the view_log on the client say?

What does the samba log for the client say? Do you have

  log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

in your smb.conf file? This will make it easier to debug by creating a
separate log file for each client.

I've attached a text file with some initial troubleshooting steps you
can follow. This file is extracted from some WEB pages I wrote about
setting up and configuring Samba for ClearCase.

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail