[Samba] Samba 3.0.4 fails to compile on Solaris 9

khalid.m.alvi at census.gov khalid.m.alvi at census.gov
Mon May 24 12:16:41 GMT 2004

I have been trying to compile Samba 3.0.4 on a SunFire v880 running Solaris
9 but "make" generates a fatal error.  My goal is to get Samba compiled
with the "--with-ldapsam" option so that I can use SunOne Directory Server
5.2 as the back-end repository for user authentication.  I have gcc version
3.3.2 installed in /usr/local/bin/gcc which I have used to successfully
compile other applications.

This is one of my ./configure attempts:

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba-3.0.4 --with-ldapsam --with-ldap \
> --with-quotas

Using libraries:
    LIBS = -lsendfile -lsec -lgen -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl -ldl
    LDAP_LIBS = -lldap -llber
    AUTH_LIBS =
checking configure summary... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating include/stamp-h
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating script/findsmb
config.status: creating smbadduser
config.status: creating script/gen-8bit-gap.sh
config.status: creating include/config.h

# make
Using FLAGS =  -O  -Iinclude -I/sysadmin/samba/samba-3.0.4/source/include
-I/sys
admin/samba/samba-3.0.4/source/ubiqx
-I/sysadmin/samba/samba-3.0.4/source/smbwra
pper  -I. -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-I/sysadmin/samba/samba-3.0
.4/source
      LIBS = -lsendfile -lsec -lgen -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl -ldl
      LDSHFLAGS = -G
      LDFLAGS =
Compiling dynconfig.c
In file included from include/includes.h:891,
                 from dynconfig.c:21:
include/proto.h:589: error: parse error before "LDAP_CONST"
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `dynconfig.o'

 I have tried various options with configure but they all generate the same
exact error.  My attempts includes running ./configure with no options at
all and with "--with-included-popt" option as was suggested in one of the
threads.  (I downloaded popt and installed it in /usr/local.) What am I
doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Doing ./configure -help indicates that the option --with-ldap has the
default value of "yes" and the option --with-ldapsam has the default value
of "no."  So I downloaded the precompiled version of Samba 3.0.2a from
www.sunfreeware.com to take advantage of the defaults but when I configure
it for LDAP and try to start it, the smbd and nmbd logs say that ldap
server and ldap ports are unknown parameters.  Any suggestions?

Khalid Alvi