[Samba] smbd disconnects when trying to write not-very-large files

Jordan Coleman jordan at ColemanFamilyCamps.com
Sat May 22 20:09:20 GMT 2004

Running Samba 3.0.4 on FreeBSD 5.2.1-p3, built from the BSD ports
collection.  I've got Samba up and running (as I have numerous times
before with great success) and clients can connect, list files, read,
rename, delete, etc.  When trying to write a file, though, the server
disconnects (and, apparently, the forked process that was started for
the connection quits with no error).  The result is that the file is
created on the server, but doesn't get filled and the client reports an
error.  This happens both when saving a file that's been opened on the
server and when trying to copy a new file to the server.

To be more specific, I can create and write files up to about 1.6K in
size without any problem at all.  Above about 2K, I always get the
error.  And in between, sometimes things work and sometimes things don't.

If I copy a folder to the server, things proceed until it gets to the
first file in the 1.7K+ range and then I get the error.  The directory
gets created, all files up to that point get copied, and the file it
stops on gets created but is empty.

On WinXP, the error message that Explorer gives is "The specified name
is no longer available" (obviously, other apps give other errors).
Using smbclient from another host, I get "Error writing file: Call
returned zero bytes (EOF)" or, in some cases, smblient just exits with
no message.  Interestingly, when trying to connect with smbclient from
the local machine (the host Samba is running on), everything works just
fine.

I considered that the problem might be a mistake in smb.conf, but I
tried using the smb.conf from another system where Samba's working fine
and still get the same problem.  I'm actually having this same exact
problem on two hosts with identical hardware.  The clients I'm using
have no problem working with other servers (Samba and XP) on the same
network.

I've tried to debug this with a packet sniffer and by turning up the
debug level in the server, but in both cases, the output hasn't given me
anything that jumps out as being the problem.  OTOH, most of it is
mostly meaningless to me anyway.

Any ideas?  I can provide packet dumps, logs, etc. if necessary.

++Jordan