[Samba] Problems upgrading from 2.2.7a to 3.0.2a

Jeremy irwinr12 at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 03:26:48 GMT 2004

First, a little background:

For over a year now, we've had a 400 Mhz celeron running Samba 2.2.7 on RedHat
9, acting as a PDC for an office of about 8 Windows XP client PCs.  It has done
a great job, but we recently bought a new Dell Poweredge 400 sc (2.4 Ghz P-4)
to replace it.  I installed Gentoo on it, with Samba 3.0.2a.  I also copied the
entire /home tree from the old box to the new one, preserving permissions.
(Yes, I copied the users  entries from /etc/passwd, all the UIDs and GIDs
match.)  (Profiles are subdirectories of each users home dir).  I also copied
over the smbpasswd file.  I didn't copy the smb.conf file though, I went
through it, line by line, and copied configuration info by hand, making sure
everything was correct.

Ok, so, after all this, I thought I was good to make the switch.  I thought I'd
be smart and shut down all the client PCs, shut down the old server, configure
the new server to have the same hostname and IP address, start Samba, and start
the client PCs, and hope they'd just use the new machine as the domain server.
Nope.  Oh well, I'll just go in and re-join the domain...  Wrong again.  The
infamous "There cannot be multiple connections to the server..." crap.  Took me
several hours of searching the net to figure out that -Shortcuts- to
files/folders on the server can cause that message.  Ok, so I got it to join
the domain.  I log off Administrator, and log in as a domain user.

Login works wonderfully.  I am so happy.  But, after everything is loaded, i
notice things are off.  Background is gone, I get a message about "Could not
reconnect all network drives"  (There are usually two drives mapped to the
server, Y and Z.  The Z drive maps just fine.  (Y maps to the 'public' shared
directory for all users, while Z maps to the users home directory).

I'm dumbfounded, so I click 'Start' to go into control panel, and another
suprise, the icons on the left side of XP's two sides start menu, are gone.

When I go to the display control panel, the theme box is entirely black, when
you try to change any settings, you get "Cannot access C:\Windows\<some obscure
file> error).

I have dug and dug, I cannot find anything anywhere on the net about anyone
having any problem even remotely similiar to this.

Any help, is -greatly- appreciated.  This is the most confounding issue I've
ever seen.  It's almost like the 'settings' for the profile aren't getting
copied over.

-Jeremy