[Samba] Samba problem of users access

riviere guillaume riviere.guillaume at hcm.vsl-vn.com
Sat May 22 02:59:44 GMT 2004

Dear all samba users,

We try to install a Samba files server as a member of a W2K network.
The domain controler is a W2K server with Active Directories, Groups and
users.

We want to shared our linux disk with rigths in function of thoses
groups and users.

We use Samba 3 and a GNU/Debian sarge distribution.

There is no problem to join the W2K network:

$> net rpc join -U Administrator
password: ...
Joined domain MYDOMAIN.

We see all groups and users:

$> wbinfo -u
guillaume
foo
faa
fii

$>wbinfo -g
mygroup
othergroup

We can see the disk from the W2K network, no problems.

The problem is that is I put as a valid users a user name it's not work:
For exemple, my user name is guillaume and my group is mygroup:

1/ If I put in smb.conf the line:

valid users = @mygroup

it work, only members of mygroup (and so guillaume) can access to this
folder

2/ If I put in smb.conf the line:

valid users = guillaume

It doesn't work, I cannot access to this folder with the guillaume user,
and this is the same problem with invalid users, admin users ... only
groups work.

Do you know somthing about this problem, I try to search on google but
it's difficult to explain for search ...

Here is my smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN