[Samba] Gathering EventLog Information from a remote server or workstation

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Sat May 22 01:19:39 GMT 2004

Lee W wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've recently begun looking into ways of automating the monitoring of all my
>servers.  Whilst most of the Linux/BSD stuff is sorted, I am having more
>difficulties gathing the details of the Windows Boxes.
>
>The main source of problems is how to retrieve the event log details from a
>remote machine.  During my research I came across some old mailling list
>articules in 1999 regarding 'rpcclient' and a command that was looking to get
>implented onto that for eventvwr.  Does anyone know if this work is still going
>on?
>
>If rpcclient eventvwr support is no longer planned, can anyone make any
>suggestions of how to get the information using Linux/BSD tools.  I have found a
>few tutorials on how to get the information using Perl, but these are when also
>running Perl from a win32 operating system, I would like to monitor as much as
>possible from the Linux boxes (currently using a mixture of SNMP tools, MRTG &
>Nagios).
>
>Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
>
>Lee.

Actually, I'm interested in this as well, although the best way I know
to retrieve event log info remotely is through WMI.  Unfortunately,
there's no WMI implementation outside of Microsoft's on Windows (Windows
Scripting Host).  The best way I could see to do it would be to
consolidate all the Event Logs via polling to a text file on a Windows
box would could be shared or monitored from your Linux box via
smbfs/nfs, etc.

Clint