[Samba] linux/solaris/windows group management

Michal Kurowski mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl
Fri May 21 16:44:05 GMT 2004

Hi,

My second question. Perhaps not strictly samba question but I guess
many people in here are dealing with exactly the same stuff...

I've got Ldap (Sun ONE aka iPlanet) Ldap server on a solaris9 box and
samba (2.2.9, not quite willing to upgrade, no offense) on a linux
box.

Therefore my primary linux group is "users" (gid 100) and my primary
solaris group is "other" (gid 1). And AFAIK, primary windows group
should be "Domain Users" (gid 513, if posixGroup attribute is actually
necessary).

I'd like to have all these primary groups to be transparent for users
and manipulate them only by means of Ldap groups/roles. So far I just
adds "users" and "Domain Users" to "ou=Groups" and I do further
adjustments in "/etc/groups" files but I'm not quite happy with it.

I'm looking for an expert opinion and experiences. This basic settings
work OK but I'm just turning samba on for larger scale and I want to
be sure people group membership will be mapped right.

Cheers,

--
Michal Kurowski
perl -e '$_=q#: 13_2: 12/o{>: 8_4) (_4: 6/2^-2; 3;-2^\2: 5/7\_/\7: 12m m::#;