[Samba] cupsaddsmb

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri May 21 15:40:07 GMT 2004

> Matteo matteo at ilteo.it
> Thu May 20 21:50:34 GMT 2004
>

> HI!
> I've a problem with cupsaddsmb!! :-(

You'd surely harvest a more definite answer if you
had spiced the question seed with some version info
about CUPS, Samba and the OS-s you're using...

> At the console I type:
>
> cupsaddsmb -U root -v <printername>
>
> and after some operations complete correctly appear this error:
>
> [...]
> Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -U'root%' -c 'adddriver "Windows NT
> x86"
> "eps6100l:cupsdrv5.dll:eps6100l.ppd:cupsui5.dll:cups5.hlp:NULL:RAW:NULL"'
> cmd = adddriver "Windows NT x86"
> "eps6100l:cupsdrv5.dll:eps6100l.ppd:cupsui5.dll:cups5.hlp:NULL:RAW:NULL"
> Printer Driver eps6100l successfully installed.
>
> Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -U'root%' -c 'setdriver eps6100l
> eps6100l'
> cmd = setdriver eps6100l eps6100l
> result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

This last error is typically showing up if your printer "eps61001"
is not yet known to Samba. This may happen if you just installed
that printer freshly in CUPS and run cupsaddsmb before doing a

    "kill -HUP `pidof smbd`"

The most recent Samba version (3.0.4) shouldn't require this any
more. But "older" versions only learn about these printers which
are available at smbd startup, and don't auto-learn new printers
added during smbd runtime.

> Why rpcclient can't associate my shared printer with the "successfully
> installed" printer driver?

Likely because the "shared printer" doesn't exist from Samba's
point of view...

Check it with

    rpcclient -Uroot%smbpassword -c enumprinters sambahostname