[Samba] net ads join hangs forever

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 21 13:11:03 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 19:43, ww m-pubsyssamba wrote:

> I believe this is a bug as I have posted exactly the same problem to this
> list already including some debug info, nobody replied though....
> I have contacted Andrew Bartlett on this with some debug information and
> am waiting for a reply. As its not just me I'll raise a bug in bugzilla,
Sorry about the delay, and thanks for keeping on it.

> 	thanks Andy Smith.
>
> PS I've replicated the problem on Linux and Solaris and Kerberos is
> working correctly.

Did you manage to valgrind it?

> <<
>

> Aaron Grewell wrote:
> | I am trying to join my Linux workstation to my ADS domain.
> | Unfortunately, I'm not having much success.  net ads
> | join hangs forever (or at least for more than 12 hours)
> | when run.
> | [2004/05/20 10:08:47, 0] libads/ldap.c:ads_add_machine_acct(1006)
> |   Host account for cygnus already exists - modifying old account
> | [2004/05/20 10:08:47, 5] libads/ldap_utils.c:ads_do_search_retry(56)
> |   Search for (objectclass=*) gave 1 replies
> |
> | *********************************************************************
> | After the LDAP search it hangs forever. :(
> |

> I would start by checking for any kerberos misconfigurations.
> Just a gut feeling though.  Does kinit run ok ?

In the trace, it appears that the server just never replies to the 'set
password' request.

We sit around forever, waiting for the reply, rather than resending it
(it is a UDP based request) or timing out.

This is krb5_setpw.c:do_krb5_kpasswd_request()

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net