[Samba] Samba 3.0.4: some problems with SWAT/STATUS and smbstatus

Toni Verdu Carbo toni at silver.udg.es
Fri May 21 10:28:42 GMT 2004

 	Hi,

 	I just installed Samba 3.0.4 on a Solaris 2.6 server. I had no
problem compiling, intalling and configuring it, and everything seems to go
OK. People can connect to all the configured shares without any problem.

 	But I have some problems when getting server status either via
SWAT/STATUS or using smbstatus:

 	First, in the "Client" field of the SWAT/STATUS report I have
problems translating IPs to computer names. Sometimes the client is listed
with its name, but sometimes with its IP. Sometiems the same machine can be
listed by name, and later only by the IP... Usually I have a mixed listing
in the "Client" colums, with some clients listed by name and others by IP. I
dont know what's wrong. The same occurs with smbstatus...

 	Second, when using smbstatus I never get any information in the
"PID/Username/Group/Machine" part of the report, while with SWAT/STATUS I
always get full "Active Connections", "Active Shares" and "Open Files" parts
of the report. As an example, I copy the output of a tipical smbstatus:

Samba version 3.0.4
PID     Username      Group         Machine

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
xxxxx        16894   computer1        Fri May 21 11:46:57 2004
yyyyy        16894   computer1       Fri May 21 11:46:57 2004
zzzzz        16940   aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd  Fri May 21 11:45:35 2004
zzzzz        17071   computer3       Fri May 21 11:48:38 2004
xxxxx        16908   aaa.bbb.ccc.eee  Fri May 21 11:44:34 2004
Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock           Name
16908  DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH /somepath/somefile
Fri May 21 11:44:34 2004

Here you can see the empty first part of the report (as ALWAYS), and also
the mixed machine listing (with names and IPs instead of only names...).

 	Any idea?

 	Thanks!

 	Toni