[Samba] Winbind causes LLOONNGG delays

Kevin A. Pieckiel kpieckiel-samba at smartrafficenter.org
Thu May 20 21:52:04 GMT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 04:12:11PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Kevin A. Pieckiel wrote:
>
> | That's just one example.  It shouldn't take 1
> | minute 42 seconds to get a ps listing.  Especially
> | on a relatively idle server (soon to change, though).
>
> Try setting 'winbind enum users = no' and
> 'winbind enum groups = no' in smb.conf.
>
> Other than that, you'll need to find out what winbindd
> is doing level 10 debug logs are the best here).

I *THINK* that did it!  I'll have to just use it some more and see.  I'm
not very clear on exactly what these parameters do.  The man page seems
kinda vague in how winbind interacts with the functions listed and how
enumerating users and groups (or NOT enumerating them) affects the system,
in particular winbind/samba.

Can you or anyone else here help me understand this better?

Thank you so much.

Kevin