[Samba] Samba 3 + Win2k = Headache

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu May 20 20:47:05 GMT 2004

Shannon Johnson wrote:

>> From what I can gather, you've got
>>2003 AD doing user management
>>RHEL for a (home) fileserver
>>Clients of all flavors
>>
>>Have you thoroughly investigated just using nfs and autofs to do home
>>directory mounting and decided you can't use it for one reason or
>>another?  What are those reasons?  You'd probably have less headache
>>using nfs in a unix client - unix server environment, after all,
>>

>that's
>

>>what NFS is good for.
>>

>Win2000 server, not 2k3... but essentially correct. NFS won't work
>because since we're doing authentication through winbind, all of the
>uid's are different on each linux client. We've tried loading the
>Services for Unix on the server, and assigning UID's, then using the
>idmap_ad as the idmap backend, but I'm actually not sure how it works,
>so I can't thoroughly explore it (the documentation apparently doesn't
>exist?). The only thing I can check is "getent passwd" which returns the
>UID winbind came up with on its own (through its own methods... not from
>AD).

For that I would suggest using a central LDAP repository for your idmap
backend on all machines.  If that's all you need to do to get it going
with nfs, that's a not-too-tough situation to solve.  You don't have to
go through the (somtimes painful) samba/ldap setup, you just need a
basic ldap server with one idmap tree in it.  What are you using for
your unix auth now?  since it sounds like you've got a few unix
machines, ldap is a good fit there too, unless you've got something else
that's tied in to your organization that you'd have to rebuild...

>Also, we are sharing files in a cross-platform environment... We needed
>to have the same file space, using the same quota for all of the users
>in the department.

What is enforcing your quotas?  2K or unix machine?

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipient names. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.