[Samba] Renaming machine name

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Thu May 20 09:39:08 GMT 2004

Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:

>Hi, I had to rename a machine name today because someone used the same
>name on two computers. I just added a random character to the machine
>name and I thought that since I have the idealx script setup to
>auto-create machines accounts it would add it automatically but it
>didn't so I had to get the computer out of the domain and rejoin it with
>it's new machine name so it would add it automatically. Is this a bug or
>is that how it's supposed to work?
>
>Jean-Rene Cormier

This works the same way in Windows domains and is a feature/issue with
the way Windows clients handle domain membership.  You cannot rename a
machine in Windows w/o breaking it's domain membership w/o first
removing the machine from the domain, renaming the machine, rebooting,
and then rejoining the machine to the domain under the new name.

Clint