[Samba] Windows XP slow access to network places shortcut?

samba samba at crofox.com
Wed May 19 23:15:47 GMT 2004

No, I did not. According to this google search it may speed up network browsing:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/webclient.htm

Well, I just set it on my box here, and I am still having the slow network browsing. I still think it has something to do with the way I'm logging in. Since guest is the default in XP i have to put user name in the path: \\fileserver\share\passprotectedshare%user and then enter in password, even though login says guest, that method tricks XP into thinking that user is logging in and not guest. My thoughts are unbased, but I have a hunch. Opinions?

Anyone have experience with disabling this or leaving it enabled and seeing a difference? Just curious. Actually, extremely curious!