[Samba] Samba 3.0.4 PDC w/ LDAP - XP client

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Wed May 19 22:40:10 GMT 2004

Hello, Jérôme,

Mittwoch, 19. Mai 2004, 21:47 you wrote:

>> - Should smbldap-populate get edited to create root with uidnumber=0?
JT> smbldap-populate does not create a root account. But you can use the
JT> Administrator one. I just forgot to set the uidNumber to 0 in 0.8.4 version
JT> of the script.
JT> You can set it using 'smbldap-usermod -u 0 Administrator'

No problem right now anymore for me, I have user root now with -u 0.

What about 0.8.5 ? ;-)

>> - Should smbldap-populate get edited to use the same ou-Container for
>> Users AND Computers?
JT> smbldap-populate will create an ou for both users and computers. You don't
JT> need to change this script. If you want computer's account to be set in
JT> ou=Users, just modify the smbldap.conf file as follow:
JT> computersdn="ou=Users,..."
JT> Note that you can use ou=Computers for computer's account: look at this:
JT> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=108439612826440&w=2

As many people will take your toolset as the one to start with and
will take the included HOWTO as the one to follow, I would suggest to
modify the HOWTO to something like:

"As bugreport x.y.z in bugzilla.samba.org states, there are problems
with using the Container ou=Computers with Samba 3.0.x ... "

or something similar.

If you know that, you don't need the HOWTO.
If you don't know that, you should be able to fully trust the HOWTO
and it should point out well-known obstacles.

I would be happy to help you with contributing my experiences with
your (very helpful) tools and maybe adding the points that I missed.

Thanks a lot so far !
--
best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger