[Samba] Changing domains...causes wbinfo -t to fail.

Michael Wray mwray at s4f.com
Wed May 19 18:33:11 GMT 2004

smb.conf
obey pam restrictions = No
workgroup = mydomain
server string = server
security = domain
password server = passserver.mydomain.com
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind guid = 10000-20000
winbind use default domain = yes

using samba-2.2.8a on FreeBSD 5.1

smbpasswd -j mydomain -r 192.168.1.3 -U admin%pass

Joined mydomain successfully

wbinfo -t   secret is good

Reconfigure smb.conf for new location as doing above is to verify that
joining a domain is possible.

smb.conf
obey pam restrictions = No
workgroup = newdomain
server string = server
security = domain
password server = passserver.newdomain.com
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind guid = 10000-20000
winbind use default domain = yes

using samba-2.2.8a on FreeBSD 5.1
cd /usr/local/private
rm secrets.tdb

smbpasswd -j mydomain -r 192.168.1.3 -U admin%pass

Joined mydomain successfully

wbinfo -t

error cannot check secret  (0x0000e5f)

Am I missing something...this happens frequently...apparently uninstalling
samba, removing the secrets database, reinstalling samba, rebooting, then
rejoining, rebooting then doing wbinfo -t  works.  But it seems like an
awful lot to go through. Any suggestions?

Incidentally could it have anything to do with my resolver library refusing
to use the hosts file reguardles of host.conf and nsswitch.conf settings?

(Winbindd shows good comms with the server but doesn't receive the
secrets..so I don't think it would unless there's a shared underlying
library...)