[Samba] hosts deny = X not working for printer share

Caylan Van Larson caylan at aero.und.edu
Wed May 19 16:13:13 GMT 2004

Note: This was cross posted at comp.protocols.smb

Linux: 2.6.5-1-686-smp (debian stable)
Samba: Version 3.0.2a-Debian
Cups: Version: 1.1.20final-12.backports.org.1
Network: one ip-address, one-interface

We manage multiple printers from cups, which are then exported to a
printcap file, then loaded into samba.  All the printers work great
from samba, Point-n-Print is operational :D  However, we would love the
ability to restrict access to the printers based on their network
location.  Thinking that this would be an easy task, we redeclared each
printer in the smb.conf in this format:

[xxPrinter]
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   hosts allow = X.X.X.X

Even though there is some redundancy with this approach, it was going
to, in theory, allow us to give fine grained access to printers.
However, this is not working, as we are still allowed to print to these
printers no matter what combination of
interfaces/hosts(allow/deny)/guest <--> global/printers/[printer]
shares <--> ip/network/mask/ALL/ALL:ALL.  It just plain doesn't work.

I'd like to reference this article:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF
-8&threadm=ho3J5.89%24h32.102721%40typhoon.southeast.rr.com&rnum=1&prev=
/
groups%3Fq%3Dsamba%2Bwill%2Bnot%2Brefuse%2Bany%2Bconnections%26hl%3Den%2
6lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

That's the ugliest link I've ever seen... Crappy.  If that doesn't work
you can always search google groups for "samba will not refuse any
connections" (1st result)

That should about do it...  Arg :P  TY in advance.

Caylan