[Samba] Reconnect to Shares not working

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Wed May 19 07:02:13 GMT 2004

I've just reconfigured my Samba 3 setup so that Windows users basically only
see shares they are supposed to see when they browse the Samba server through
Explorer.

At the suggestion of others on this list, I used the "include =
/etc/samba/smb.%U.conf" feature and create a "smb.username.conf" file for each Linux user.

To get Explorer to display the shares assigned to each user, I created a
common share that everybody can access called "log_on_here". When users click on
that share, their Windows machine gets logged onto the Samba server. Then when
users click on the BACK button in Explorer, their individual shares show up.

Maybe has a better way of letting users "log in" to the Server. I couldn't
think of one.

Anyway, to make life easy for users, I suggested when they mapped their
assigned shares, they checked the "reconnect on logon" box -- so their Windows
machine would automatically reconnect to desired shares on the Samba server each
time they booted up the client machine.

However, I'm finding that the Windows machines aren't automatically
reconnecting on each boot. The mapped share appears in Explorer with a red highlight
(unconnected) until the user clicks on the share. The first click produces an
error that the share is unavailable or you may not have permission to use it.
Then the next click allows access to the share.

Is there away to make this reconnecting of mapped (but private) shares less
cumbersome?

Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andy Liebman