[Samba] samba+cups printing a banner

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Tue May 18 19:26:09 GMT 2004

> i set up a print server using samba and cups and it seems to be
working
> fine but in my environment it is vital for each printjob to have a
banner
> with netbios name on it.
> eg i have 700 public computers and 4 printers so i need each computer
> print a banner with the hostname to distinguish who prints what. i
tried
> to set it up on the client side but it doesnt seem to be working.
> any help would be greatly appreciated. 10x

If you're already running winbindd, the easiest way is to probably add
wins to the hosts line of your nsswitch.conf, and rely on
{job-originating-host-name} in your cups banner.  At the very least you
will have the client's ip address, but with WINS in your nsswitch.conf
you should be able to resolve these.

Alternately you might be able to specify a print command in smb.conf
that passes %m as a print option or something, but I couldn't tell you
if cups would accept something like this for sure...

GL,
~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.