[Samba] Samba, Cups, Windows driver and PPD File updates

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Tue May 18 16:12:08 GMT 2004

Greetings,

I am using Samba (both 2.2.8a and 3.0.4) on servers running CUPS and
have used cupsaddsmb to make the Cups drivers available for download to
the client PCs.  Everything has been working as it should.

I need to make some changes to the PPD files on the CUPS servers.  The
question I have is about propagating the changes to the client PCs.

I can either hand edit the copy of the PPD under the PRINT$, or I could
re-run cupsaddsmb (I think) to pick-up may changed Cups PPD - but (how)
will the client PCs that already have the driver loaded for a given
printer "learn" of the change to the PPD file?  I see that copies of the
PPD end up under c:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\2

I've looked over the docs and mailing list archives but if this topic is
mentioned I have missed it..

Will the users need to disconnect and reconnect the printers?  Will they
need to disconnect from the printer, remove the current driver from the
PC, then reconnect?  Will thinks work like magic and I am worrying about
nothing?

I am trying to minimize the confusion that any change causes among our
students.

Thanks in advance for any hints or ideas.

-Bob
  Bob Martel - System Administrator   | I met someone who looks a lot
like you
  Levin College of Urban Affairs      | She does the things you do

  Cleveland State University          | But she is an IBM

  (216) 687-2214                      |

  bob at meeker.csuohio.edu              |                     -Jeff Lynne