[Samba] Cannot connect MacOSX domain member to PDC

Tony Baker tony at onestep.co.uk
Tue May 18 16:15:20 GMT 2004

I am not running LDAP or AD on the PDC (Sun running PCNetlink)
Is that the problem?? Will an Apple (Samba3.0) only join a domain runing
LDAP or AD??

#############################
##excerpt from logs from Apple##
############################
2004/05/18 10:32:42, 0]
/SourceCache/samba/samba-56/samba/source/nmbd/nmbd.c:process(540)
  Got SIGHUP dumping debug info.
[2004/05/18 10:32:42, 0]
/SourceCache/samba/samba-56/samba/source/nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_wo
rkgroups(266)
  dump_workgroups()
   dump workgroup on subnet       10.1.1.61: netmask=  255.255.240.0:
  	G5SERVER(2) current master browser = UNKNOWN
  		G5SERVER 40009a03 (Mac OS X)
[2004/05/18 10:32:42, 0]
/SourceCache/samba/samba-56/samba/source/nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:dump_wo
rkgroups(266)
  dump_workgroups()
   dump workgroup on subnet  UNICAST_SUBNET: netmask=        0.0.0.0:
  	WORKGROUP(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
  		G5SERVER 40009a03 (Mac OS X)
[2004/05/18 10:32:42, 0]
/SourceCache/samba/samba-56/samba/source/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:collect_
all_workgroup_names_from_wins_server(585)
  collect_all_workgroup_names_from_wins_server:
  Cannot find my workgroup G5SERVER on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.

##################################
##following when trying to join domain##
#################################
net join -S Sun280 -I x.x.x.x -w domainname
root password:
could not initialise lsa pipe
could not obtain sid for domain

######################
##smb.conf from Apple##
#####################
more smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = G5server
        display charset = UTF-8-MAC
        print command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess printps %p %s
        lprm command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess remove %p %j
        security = user
        guest account = unknown
        encrypt passwords = yes
        printing = BSD
        allow trusted domains = no
        preferred master = no
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess hold %p %j
        netbios name = G5server
        wins support = no
        max smbd processes = 0
        printcap =
        wins server = x.x.x.x
        server string = Mac OS X
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess release %p %j
        client ntlmv2 auth = no
        domain logons = no
        lpq command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess jobs %p
        passdb backend = opendirectorysam guest
        dos charset = CP437
        unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
        auth methods = guest opendirectory