[Samba] Sharing with permission

Bob Sullivan bob at robian-tl.co.uk
Tue May 18 09:23:19 GMT 2004

We recently upgraded one of our Mandrake servers to 10 Official with Samba 3
and found that we could not get USER security to work.  We had used the KDE
GUI to setup Samba but with little success.  We un-installed all Samba
options and reinstalled omitting the KDE GUI interface.  We configured Samba
3 using SWAT and USER security worked without any trouble whatsoever.  We
have always used SWAT and rightly consider it the only accurate way to setup
Samba unless you really are a Samba guru.

On Samba 3 we have an unresolved problem with nmbd shutting down when there
are no workstations active on the network.  We understand this is a known
issue and would appreciate knowing where we can obtain a Mandrake package for
Samba 3.0.4 as we believe the issue was resolved in 3.0.4.

Regards,
Bob