[Samba] Odd behaviour while mounting a cifs volume

Charles Nadeau charles at elf.coara.or.jp
Tue May 18 09:16:35 GMT 2004

I tried to mount a volume using cifs as the filesystem type. I am using the
cifs 1.02 patch on kernel version 2.4.22. The machine holding the disks is
a WinXP Pro machine.

When I use plain vanilla mount with cifs as the filesystem, I get:

Mosix4 / # mount -t cifs //192.168.0.3/Fukuoka_c /fukuoka/c -o
username=Administrator,pass=passw0rd,ro
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
//192.168.0.3/Fukuoka_c,
       or too many mounted file systems

But if I use mount.cifs instead, I get:

Mosix4 / # mount.cifs //192.168.0.3/Fukuoka_c /fukuoka/c -o
username=Administrator,pass=passw0rd,ro

No error message, it works!
If I substitute the IP address by the name of the machine, it doesn't
work.

Mosix4 / # mount.cifs //Fukuoka/Fukuoka_c /fukuoka/c -o
username=Administrator,pass=passw0rd,ro
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name Fukuoka/Fukuoka_c
not
found  rc = 9
mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I am not really concerned by this last error message, I know why I get
it.
What really bugs me is why the fist statement doesn't work while the
second
one does. They are almost the same. What is the subtle difference?
Could somebody shed a bit of light of this one?
Thanks!

Charles

Charles-E. Nadeau Ph.D
http://radio.weblogs.com/0111823/