[Samba] printing from W98 to Samba/Cups

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun May 16 23:55:39 GMT 2004

Hi Gang!

I've recently set up a TAO Linux box, which has SAmba 3.0.2 and Cups 1.1.17.

I have a Lexmark Optra Color 40 Postscript inkjet printer directly
attached to the parallel port, and working.

After considerable pain I was able to get XP Home to print to that printer
(using the 15 step method, as the simple method kept refusing to work).

Now I'm trying to get Windoze 98 to print to the same printer. The XP is
on a separate box, but the '98 is in a VM Ware Workstation session. I can
browse to the linux host, in '98, see and access its shares, and can even
configure the printer in windows. But when printing to it, nothing useful
happens. Windows thinks it succeeded. The printer's busy light blinks for
a minute or two then stops but no paper ever appears.

note that this is the same symptoms I had wiht XP before I found the
lengthy samba/cups documentation.

Unfortunately, that documentation does not tell how to set up printing
from W98 to samba/cups, and trying the same method does not work for me.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Fred

PS: I can boot a Knoppix Cd in the VMware workstation, and use it to
configure printing on a SMB printer pointing to the same Lexmark printer
share on the linux host, and it works fine. So, since both Knoppix and XP
can print successfully on the shared printer, I believe it must be set up
properly.

Here's the smb.conf.file:

[global]
   workgroup = HOME
   server string = FCSHOME Samba Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.2. 127.
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   domain logons = yes
   dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   valid users = %S
   read only = No
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775
   browseable = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   printer admin = root

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /etc/samba/drivers
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   write list = root

[smbshare]
	comment = Shared directory for Samba users
	path = /home/shared
	writable = yes
	browseable = yes
	printable = no