[Samba] winbind - local unix uid

Paul Brown pbrown at engsoft.demon.co.uk
Sun May 16 10:04:37 GMT 2004

I am trying to setup samba with winbind to our NT domain server. The problem
arises when I want to try and use an existing unix account which happens to
have the same name as a windows account (my account). It always seems to
prefer the domain\uid account. Is there a way to map this account to a local
account similar to net groupadd, or am I missing something obvious  ?

I need to do this as there are nfs mappings (same uid on both local
accounts) on this machine to another which is on our DMZ which doesn't have
access to the NT server authentication.

getent passwd returns the local users first and then all of the domain
users.

Authentication of groups is working as shares to other directories based on
mapped groups are working.

Thanks

Paul