[Samba] Linux CIFS client with Samba 2.0.x or 2.2.x ?

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 15 22:32:48 GMT 2004

Hi.  I am experimenting with the Linux CIFS client included with Linux
2.6.6, and I am having some problems.

First, I tried to map shares from a Samba 2.0.10 server (old machine).
Is this supposed to work at all?  The mount succeeds, and I can
traverse and list directories, but any attempt to open a file for
reading results in "permission denied".  The Samba server logs this
message:

  [2004/05/15 17:45:46, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:map_share_mode(443)
    map_share_mode: Incorrect value 80000000 for desired_access to file \path\to\file

If I use the same mount options with "smbmount", everything works
fine.  Access to this Samba server from any Windows client works fine,
too.

Next, I tried to map shares from a Samba 2.2.7a server.  This time,
the mount itself fails with "mount error 13 = Permission denied".  The
server is configured with "security = server" and "password server =
MYPDC".  If I increase the debug level on the server, I can see that
it logs these messages:

  connected to password server MYPDC
  password server MYPDC rejected the password

(This behavior is the same whether or not I provide a "dom=" option to
mount.cifs.)

Again, if I use the same mount options (including username and
password) with "smbmount", everything works fine.  Access to this
Samba server from Windows clients works fine, too.

So my question is, should I expect the Linux CIFS client to work with
Samba 2.0.x or 2.2.x?  If so, what am I doing wrong, or what can I do
to help debug this?

Thanks!

 - Pat