[Samba] Documentation discrepancies

Sak sak at 102010.org
Sat May 15 16:47:22 GMT 2004

In my continued attempt to get winbindd working on a simple domain, I
decided to go through the documentation in more detail, searching for
some possibly hidden clues.  In doing so I came across some
instruction that left me a little confused...

Fast Start: Cure for Impatience - Domain Member Server
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/FastStart.html#id2512775

The first point is in the example smb.conf you're instructed to use
'winbind use default domain = yes' in the global parameters.  Later
on, in step 8, the output from wbinfo -u shows the DOMAIN+user
output.  Having recently learned from my experiences with this, this
output is not correct.  If 'winbind use default domain = yes' is
declared, then you won't see the DOMAIN preceeding the username.
You'll just get a list of usernames.  This originally confused me
before Jerry explained it to me.

The next issue is with step 6, where you're asked to configure
/etc/nsswitch.conf.  Here, the example entries are slightly different
than in section 20 of the main documentation - Winbind: Use of Domain
Accounts.

Step 6 for the impatient suggests:

passwd: files winbind
group:  files winbind
hosts:  files dns winbind

While the instructions in Section 20 suggests:
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/winbind.html#id2574730

passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files
group:      files winbind

Is this a potential problem?  Which is correct?

--
Thanks,
Sak.

bury your heart u s of a
history rears up to spit in your face
you saw what you wanted you took what you saw
we know how you got it-your method equals wipeout
     -fugazi