[Samba] XP pro can't join Domain

abebe lsslp peaceofcrap2001 at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 23:44:55 GMT 2004

I have been working on a a Linux server (file, printer, & PDC) for the last 6 months. I am currently using Fedora with Samba 3.0 as my server. I have an XP pro(xppro) and Win 98(winlin) machines on my small network. The file and print server seems to be working fine on both clients. However, my XP machine is not joining the the domain.

Symptoms:
1.  As I try to join the domain as a "root," I get

    The following error occured attempting to join the domain <Domain Name>:
                User name could not be found

   On the 'xppro.log' file it says, "root logged in as admin user (root privileges)"

2.  As I try to join the domain as me, it says,

   The following error occured attempting to join the domain <Domain Name>:
                Access is denied.

Here are some of the things I have tried so far.

- changed the registery settings on the XP machine accordingly
- added "root" as a samba user (smbpasswd -a root). The account also exists in /etc/samba/smbpasswd file.
- my user add script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

I have been trying this for the last 3 days. I have used RedHat 9.0 with samba 2.2. and was able to join the domain from this XP machine.

I really need your help!!! I have to get the server ready with BDC and LDAP for testing under a network containing 30 XP pro and 40 win 98 machines and two printers.

If you need my smb.conf file, I will be happy to provide it!