[Samba] Samba 3.0.3 and NTBackup in WinXP

Mattias Larsson sparhawk at beyond.nu
Fri May 14 14:41:05 GMT 2004

Hello.

We are having a really strange problem and I have been searching the net all
day for a answer.

We are trying to restore files from NTBackup to a Samba share using
alternate pathing in ntbackup.

The samba machine is a Solaris 8 machine with Samba 3.0.3 beeing a member of
out AD domain.

We map the samba share to Y:\ on the XP machine using a named account in AD,
with a local counterpart
in the Solaris machine.

When accessing this share through explorer.exe we can browse the share and
create files and dirrs without problem,
when trying to access it in ntbackup though we get access denied right away.

If I look at the log.smbd it doesn't even reflect this attempt to restore
files.

We were using Samba 2.2.8 before but upgraded to be able to support our new
AD-users and it work without a problem
in samba 2.2.8 but not in samba 3.0.3.

Does anyone know what kind of problem this can be? We have the same
configuration for the share in smb.conf as before.

[prearken]
   browseable = yes
   hosts allow = .lm.se .intra.local
   path = /prearken