[Samba] How to disable changing of modification times on file access?

Hannu Koivisto azure at iki.fi
Fri May 14 10:46:45 GMT 2004

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> writes:

> Hannu Koivisto wrote:
> | noticed that whenever I open a file using a Windows
> | (I'm using Windows 2000) application, Samba changes
> | its modification time to the current time.  The old
> | modification time is restored when the windows application
> | quits / closes the file.
> Samba is only doing what the client applciation asks for.

Could you elaborate?  It sounds odd that the client application
would specifically ask for the modification time to be changed in
this case.  Even if it does that, would it not make sense to
provide an option that could be used to ignore such requests and
only let the modification time change when the file is actually
modified?

The only alternative I can see is to downgrade back to 2.2.x series
but since I have noticed that 3.0.x is noticeably faster in my use,
I'd rather not do that.

--
Hannu