[Samba] FYI - Why RPMs are important

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Fri May 14 04:27:47 GMT 2004

Of course, you can download the source RPM, then issue "rpmbuild
--rebuild samba-3.0.4-1.src.rpm" then you'd have your very own RPM
sitting in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ which you could then install as
you say below.

This is, of course, assuming you have all the appropriate compilers
and utilities installed.

However, you'll be pleased to have this link:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/bin-pkgs/RedHat/RPMS/i386/8.0/

which is one of the many mirrors where binaries for RedHat 8.0 are
found. I just check and as of 9:28 PM PDT the 3.0.4 binary was present.

--Jon Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
jon at sutinen.com