[Samba] Samba - Oplocks = no

Malcolm Baldridge google at paypc.com
Thu May 13 12:44:47 GMT 2004

> In order to deal with bizarre MS Office junk, it looks like I may have
> to disable oplocks on my samba server.

I feel your pain.  You *CAN* just oplock veto all M$ Office files instead.

> What kinds of problems, if any could arise from my having disabled
> the oplocks?

Just lower performance.

Oplocks are "OPportunistic LOCKS", which provide for client-side caching to
be performed safely.

No oplocks, no caching.

What I always wonder though is whether or not these oplock problems plague
Windows NT/2000 file servers as well, or if it's just an achilles heel
within Samba.

=MB=