[Samba] Samba WINS query

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Thu May 13 10:25:57 GMT 2004

I've had Samba 2 running just fine on my REDHAT 8 server and I've just upgraded to V3.04.

It seems to all work but.....

I tried to make it behave as a BDC WINS server as I've got Windows NT4 PDC and BDC servers and I need my Redhat box to act as a backup WINS server.

This I've now done I think.

But when I use WIN Manager from NT it doesn't think the WINS on the Linux box is there.

and if I run 'NBTstat -a linux' on a Windows machine.....

I get a odd table as no MAC address is given.

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    LINUX          <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    LINUX          <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    LINUX          <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ECSTECH        <00>  GROUP       Registered
    ECSTECH        <1E>  GROUP       Registered

    MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Is this something to worry about? :-)

--
Stuart Halliday