[Samba] Patch for unix extensions

Rohit Kumar Mehta rohitm at engr.uconn.edu
Wed May 12 20:34:30 GMT 2004

Hi guys, I know Jon Newbigin made a post about this quite a while back

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2002-December/026141.html

and there was some discussion of a security risk.

We are using the patch in Samba 2.2.9 in order make a link from smbfs
mounted
/home/user/.gnome -> /tmp/username/.gnome (or somesuch gnomism)

Does anyone know the status of this in Samba 3?  I could not find a
working patch,
so I have disabled the ensure_link_is_safe function in smbd/trans2.c
manually,
by inserting a return 0 before some logic.  Since I am not very familiar
with the
code, I am not comfortable with this in our production environment.
This seems to
enable us to do what we want for the time being. (migrate from Win2K DC
/ Samba 2.2.9
exported home directories to Win2K3 ADS / Samba 3.0.4 exported home
directories)

I would grateful for any advice or information on this matter.

Thanks,

Rohit