[Samba] Re: How to tunnel Samba via ssh from Windows XP without having to disable local NetBIOS

Mike Beaton mjsb at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed May 12 19:43:05 GMT 2004

I've been working with Paul Gardiner to try to replicate this solution at
least once, and it now officially works for someone else. However, up to now I
left out one important step... (sorry)

On your MS Loopback adapter, go to "Properties / TCP/IP Properties /
Advanced... / WINS" & select "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

This is mentioned in William Mark Smith's instructions on Joe Cheswick's pages
(http://research.lumeta.com/ches/cheap/tunnelsolution.html , which I
referenced in my initial post), but I left it off my own instructions by
mistake.

Also:

netstat -ano
tasklist /svc

is useful for finding out who has bound which port in Windows.

222.222.222.222:139 should not be bound until you have a tunnel up, at which
point it should be bound by your ssh program (and not by System, that is BAD).