[Samba] Problem with Win2k Group Policy with Samba 3.0.2 PDC

Alistair James alistair.james at eng.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 12 14:32:26 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am having an annoying problem with adding a group policy to a
Samba 3.0.2 PDC domain, running ona Suse 9 box with Win2k client
machines.

Using 'poledit' from Windows 2000 server, I can add a user or
computer policy for an individual user or computer, and this will
work when placed in my [netlogon] directory, but if I try to
create a group policy, by using 'Add Group', then amending the
properties, this group policy is ignored when I login on a client
machine.

This does not appear to work for any groups (Domain User, Domain
Admin or my created group 'Students', which is mapped to the
unixgroup 'students').

All my groups appear in the poledit 'Browse' window, and
'smbstatus' shows a member of 'students' has indeed logged in.

Any idea what may be wrong? Is this something I cannot do in
Samba 3 with a Win2k client?

Cheers,