[Samba] starnge Auth problem in w2k Domain with ADS

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed May 12 13:37:06 GMT 2004

Anders Berg wrote:
| Hi Christoph,
|
| you have come to the wrong group. Not that this
| question does not belong here, its just that nobody is
| willing to answer it!
|
| 4 questions so far in May have been about this topic
| (mine: http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-May/085521.html) ,
| and many  more earlier months. And there are surprisingly
| few replys.
|
| I _don't_ think it's because it's a RTFM question, or is
| adressed in  such detail so many times that people just can't
| be bothered answering it. I think its because they don't wanna
| touch it (they meaning the people  that have written/worked with
| these parts of Samba)!
| I used both Heimdal 0.6.2 (I have a 2003 server I auth.
| gainst, and the  Samba docs say that Heimdal must be used with 2003.)
| and the MIT 1.3.3  kerbos and both 3.0.3 and 3.0.4 Samba.
|
| I see that one person has sendt a "Me too" mail in reply
| to you already. :)
|
| Will the real Samba community please stand up?!

I'll assume that your not just trolling for an answer.

For the record, you will always have better luck with
MIT krb5 1.3.x and Heimdal 0.6.1 or later.  Both supprt
the type 23 enc type used by Windows 200x.

There are a couple of likely reasons why you are prompted
for a password:

(a) the krb5 ticket cannot be verfied (possibly due to
an improper kerberos setup on the Samba box)
(b) getpwnam() fails for the user (see logs for instances
of 'Gwt_Pwnam did not')

If you can connect to the share using the server's IP
address but IP address, this is indicative of a krb5
configuration error somewhere.  When usiong the IP address,
the client will revert to the NTLMSSP mechanism during
session setup (rather than sending a krb5 ticket).

cheers, jerry
"...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home." ----------- Sting