[Samba] question NIS password authenication

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Tue May 11 19:03:44 GMT 2004

>	I am trying to setup Samba version 2.2.8a. I would like to
>authenticate the users with their NIS password and not use a smbpasswd file
>on the Samba Server. I also want to use the encrypt password feature. The
>clients will be using XP or Win2K os. Is this possible or do I have to find
>a Windows Domain Server. Thanks

Not directly possible.

The NIS system simply doesn't understand the concept of SMB-stlye
encrypted passwords, and there's no easy way to wrok from one type to
the other.

We use NIS and SMBpasswords side by side here, and once, set up, the
system pretty neatly keeps them in step.

Have a look at:-

	http://www.nibsc.ac.uk/~dmccann/smb/

which is my (rough) write up of how we keep NIS passwords and
SMB-encrypted passwords in sync.  I can explain more if needed, but
basically all users passwords are initalised in NIS and SMB when the
account is created.  After that, all password changing is done through
Samba which triggers off the sync.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)