[Samba] Samba PDC change password issue

Ron Liu rliu at email.sjsu.edu
Tue May 11 17:03:26 GMT 2004

Hi there

I had samba PDC (Version 2.2.7a) running on RH 9.0 ( 2.4.20-8 #1). There are
about 50+ win2k PCs and member servers. Everything has been working nicely
for almost 6 month untill recently. I noticed that recently when users try
to change domain password by Ctrl-Alt-Del from win2k wkstation, the windows
will give an error message saying "The system cannot change your password
now because the domain mydomain is not available", However, the password
actually does changed regardless the error message. It seems, there is no
problem in login, accessing network resources etc. However, the error
message is irritating, and I do see some error messages on the samba server
log. It happens to all the users as far as I know.

var/log/samba/bio-fs89.log
***********************************
[2004/05/11 09:40:08, 0] lib/util_sec.c:assert_gid(114)
  Failed to set gid privileges to (0,99) now set to (0,-1) uid=(0,99)
[2004/05/11 09:40:08, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1094)
  PANIC: failed to set gid

[2004/05/11 09:40:08, 0] lib/util_sec.c:assert_gid(114)
  Failed to set gid privileges to (0,99) now set to (0,-1) uid=(0,99)
[2004/05/11 09:40:08, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1094)
  PANIC: failed to set gid

Any suggestions/solutions??

Thank you for your help!

-Ron