[Samba] net ads join hangs

ww m-pubsyssamba pubsyssamba at bbc.co.uk
Tue May 11 16:21:34 GMT 2004

Hi list,

	I'm having difficulty joining new Samba 3.0.x machines to our production domain. I'm trying to join using

net ads join -U Administrator

but it just hangs. It does create a computer object in the AD though, if you Control C the hung net join and try
and start winbind, winbind complains with this error "ads_connect from domain DOMAIN failed: Cannot read password"

I know my Samba install is not fundamentally flawed because I can get the same machine to join our test AD domain.
Also this did previously work with the same version of Samba (3.0.2a) on our production domain, I have also tried
Samba 3.0.3 and 3.0.4 and all exhibit the same bahviour.

I've included the debug output from the net join command and also a snoop of the traffic between the samba server and
the first listed password server in smb.conf. Any help very much appreciated,

	thanks Andy. <<netjoin.tar.gz>>

PS you will see from the netjoin.log output that the server had an existing account in AD but the command still hangs
regardless of if there is or is not a pre-existing account in AD.

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.