[Samba] Cannot create fake user root account

John Arthur lists at davey.net.au
Tue May 11 14:38:15 GMT 2004

> What I am having problems with is connecting the winBlows machines to the
> domain controller.  This is driving me up a wall.  I was following this
> HOWTO: http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/samba-ldap-howto.pdf to the T.  And
> when I get to the point to create a 'fake user root' account which will
> allow the NT workstations to connect I get the following error.
>
> I do not know where to go from here.  Can anyone help?

This is what I did useing lastest smbldap-tools (0.8.4)

edit /etc/samba/smbusers and comment out root = administrator admin

ie
# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
#root = administrator admin
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

run smbldap-populate

then 'smbpasswd Administrator'

The smbldap-tools create an Account in the LDAP database named Administrator
with a uid=0 and a gid=512 (Domain Admins).  Once this account has a valid
password you can use it to administer the Samba network and join machines to
the network.

Regards John