[Samba] AD<->Linux: Thoughts

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon May 10 06:07:32 GMT 2004

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

<snipped>

>Now, the customer seems to be bitten by the "must upgrade because there's
>newer versions" bug (as opposed to the 'standard' UNIX way - "only upgrade
>if you'r absolutly forced" I'm used to :). The Linux version this time
>is open for discussion (SuSE have been mentioned - have no opinion there).

<snipped>

I can't comment on your Samba problem, but as for a choice for a server,
Gentoo makes a very nice server.
You only install packages as you need them ( security bonus ).
It's also very easy to keep the box up-to-date, so your customer will be
able to get what he wants in terms of continual upgrades without too
much effort on your part.
Gentoo's upgrade system is pretty cool. I assume you've heard about it's
'portage' system and 'emerge' script, so I'll tell you about the
lesser-known  'etc-update' script... It merges in any simple changes to
config files that come with the version upgrade you've just done, and
notifies you of config files with large changes that it can't deal with
so you can decide what to do with them.
I've done everything from glibc updates to compiler updates to xfree86
updates to apache updates with no problems as all.

Anyway, it's worth a thought if you will have to keep the box up-to-date.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer
email: dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au