[Samba] NT4 to Samba 3 Migration

enigma at riddlefixer.com enigma at riddlefixer.com
Fri May 7 16:29:51 GMT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:39:10AM -0600, Chris Cameron wrote:
> I've done the net rpc vampire and gotten all the user and machine
> accounts from the NT server, I've test logged in, checked permissions,
> set groups, tested some of our odd apps and it all looks good. The
> problem I'm having is switching the desktops, and keeping the
> (non-roaming) profiles.
>

> I'd like to have it so everyone reboots their computer after the Samba
> switch over, and then have it so they can just log in as usual. Have the
> Samba PDC authenticate them and they get their (non-roaming) profile
> load up.
>
> However, I've found the user is unable to log in when the NT4 PDC is
> turned off and the Samba one turned on (no longer BDC of course).
>

> Am I missing something here, or is this just not the way it works?
>
> I've checked the domain SID on both the Samba and the NT server and they
> appear to be the same. I would have figured this was the problem for
> sure.
>

> I've been spinning my wheels on this far to long, so -any- help would be
> appreciated.

I have done this with success but without regard to any profiles.

Start with the obvious and check your smb logs and up the "log level" in
the smb.conf if necessary.  That should get you going in the right
direction.

Also, make sure you have access to the samba server when it is running
as the BDC.  Make sure you resync the passwords by running vampire
again.

Cheers!