[Samba] Re: Administrator rights for Windows update?

Wim Vandersmissen wim at bofh.be
Fri May 7 12:43:43 GMT 2004

Clint Sharp <clint <at> typhoon.org> writes:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 22:43, Nicki Messerschmidt wrote:
> >

> >SUS works surprisingly well, but I think you can just set a policy for
> >the machines to update themselves automatically from the master site if
> >you wish.
> >
> >Andrew Bartlett
> >

> We're considering a SUS deployment.  What are you (or others on the
> list) doing to push the policy to tell the clients which SUS server to
> pull the updates from and when?  From the Microsoft documentation I
> read, it appears this is best achieved through GPO, which is obviously
> not an option with a Samba PDC.  I've considered using regmon to see
> what changes GPO writes and adding these to a login script (using runas
> and sanur to install the settings from the login script, like we do for
> most everything that requires admin privs), but I was hoping someone had
> already solved this problem.  Ideas?

You can just use registry files and execute via the loginscript,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:00000001
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
"AUOptions"=dword:00000004
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"WUServer"="http://yoursusserver.here.somedomain/"
"WUStatusServer"="http://yoursusserver.here.somedomain/"

More information about what every key does can be found on
http://www.susserver.com/FAQs/FAQ-AutoUpdateSettings.asp

Been running perfectly fine at my site for a few months now.

Btw, thanks for the sanur tip, didn't know something like that existed as
freeware ;-) I've been looking into tqcrunas to fix that password problem.

--Wim