[Samba] Administrator rights for Windows update?

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Fri May 7 07:28:32 GMT 2004

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 22:43, Nicki Messerschmidt wrote:
>

>SUS works surprisingly well, but I think you can just set a policy for
>the machines to update themselves automatically from the master site if
>you wish.
>
>Andrew Bartlett

We're considering a SUS deployment.  What are you (or others on the
list) doing to push the policy to tell the clients which SUS server to
pull the updates from and when?  From the Microsoft documentation I
read, it appears this is best achieved through GPO, which is obviously
not an option with a Samba PDC.  I've considered using regmon to see
what changes GPO writes and adding these to a login script (using runas
and sanur to install the settings from the login script, like we do for
most everything that requires admin privs), but I was hoping someone had
already solved this problem.  Ideas?

Clint