[Samba] Windows XP client - intermittent 'network name cannot befound' loading profile

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Fri May 7 07:16:13 GMT 2004

Michael Vermaes wrote:

>Thanks for the quick reply John. I tried setting the local GPO option as
>described in the article, but the problem still occurs. The issue
>described in the article is not exactly what I am experiencing - the
>event id is 1521. The permissions of the profile on the server are
>correct after it is created:
>[root at ldap profiles]# ls -la
>total 6352
>drwxrwxr-x    7 root     dusers       4096 May  3 10:05 .
>drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Mar 30 15:14 ..
>drwx------   13 michaelv dusers       4096 May  3 11:45
>michaelv            <=======
>where dusers is mapped to the "Domain Users" Windows group with net
>The ownership of the profile on the Windows XP client also appears to be
>I would expect the problem described in the article to be a more
>consistently occurring error - my problem is seemingly random, and
>usually works after leaving the client for a long period of time, or
>restarting it.
>I have tried experimenting with some of the other GPO settings on the
>client, and also setting the "profile acls = yes" option in the
>[Profiles] section of smb.conf, but the problem remains.
>Thanks for any additional help.

Add me to the list of me-toos on this one.  However, I've noticed it 
appears to be something specific done to the workstations which is 
causing this.  I don't know if it's a particular Microsoft patch or 
what, but we are only experiencing this in one of our 8 installations.  
Unlike most of the installations, I didn't build the machines myself for 
this one.  I tried creating a duplicate set of Microsoft patches on a 
freshly imaged workstation and could not reproduce the problem.  The 
only thing I can figure is there was some setting or software package 
installed by the contractor who was setting up these machines which was 
causing the issue.  I'm afraid I don't have much more insight other than 
to say I don't think it's a Samba server side issue, I think it's 
something which could be fixed on the clients if I could find what was 
done to them to cause it.  The ultimate fix for this problem is going to 
be re-imaging these machines to a known-good image which has been used 
in other islands (although these machines started with that, I just 
can't figure out what was done to them after the image to get them to 
this state).


More information about the samba mailing list