[Samba]Re: NT4 to Samba 3 Migration

Philip Washington phwashington at comcast.net
Fri May 7 06:01:53 GMT 2004

Chris Cameron wrote:

> I've done the net rpc vampire and gotten all the user and machine
> accounts from the NT server, I've test logged in, checked permissions,
> set groups, tested some of our odd apps and it all looks good. The
> problem I'm having is switching the desktops, and keeping the
> (non-roaming) profiles.
Which backend are you using?

> I'd like to have it so everyone reboots their computer after the Samba
> switch over, and then have it so they can just log in as usual. Have the
> Samba PDC authenticate them and they get their (non-roaming) profile
> load up.
>
> However, I've found the user is unable to log in when the NT4 PDC is
> turned off and the Samba one turned on (no longer BDC of course).

I had the same problem, the passwords didn't get transfered with vampire.
I manually entered the passwords into the samba server using the
smbldap-tools and then the user could log in.

After we were able to get the user logged in, the profile changed upon
login.  I am not sure but this may be how it is supposed to operate or
the best it can do.  If I understand the scenario you were shooting for,
  this is also what we were expecting or hoping for.

  Hopefully someone here can either confirm or deny that this is the way
it is, because we have put in a serious amount of head banging and hair
pulling also.

  We had the system setup for local profiles.
  logon path=