[Samba] problem changing the password as non-root user

Sergio Belkin sekinmor at yahoo.com.ar
Fri May 7 03:33:59 GMT 2004

I set the following in smb.conf:
 encrypt passwords = true
 unix password sync = true

As says smb.conf
# This boolean parameter controls whether Samba attempts to sync the Unix
# password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password in the
# passdb is changed.

1) Always I  had understood if I change the smb passwd, the unix passwoed
in /etc/passwd did too. However this does not happen. ¿Am I understanding
right that comment? If that is the case, so, I don't understand the usability
of 'password sync'ç

2) Also, when I try to change the smb password as non-root user, I can't do
it, and the following message appear:
"machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
specified
 password is invalid.
Failed to change password for sergio"
Why? I searched in google, but I don't understand exactly if that is a problem
of SAmba 3.x
(As root, I can change the password)

3. Finally a question more: How would I do from WIndows if an user change his
password and automagically change in Linux too? Must I compose a script for
his connect with samba server?

SErgio BELKin
Obed Liberty
Software Libre al desktop