[Samba] Script repository?

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu May 6 22:52:12 GMT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, RRuegner wrote:

> sorry if you have samba loaded from a linux distro, you have enough
> examples for a normal setup included, what description do you need for
> i.e useradd , man useradd tells you everything you need.
> for a standart setup you only need normal linux system funktions
> no magic is here, and no special scripting.
> This is another case i. example with ldap , but you will find
> examples in the sources too, what more do you need?

Not every distro comes with example scripts. Some of the native *nix
tools don't provide exactly the behaviour that Samba expects.

> add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
> delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
> add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd -r %g
> delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
> add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a %u %g
> delete user from group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -d %u %g
> set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
>
> see here for suse 9 linux , all normal system parameters with expansion
> from samba which you can find in man smb.conf

It's great that SuSE 9 provides scripts and docs, but not every distro
is so thoughtful. :-)

> dont forget tweaking setups is one of the great thing with open source,
> it pushed my computer knowledge , in my opinion it is not very
> usefull setting up server without having understand how it works ( this
> is the way of many so called ms certfullieifhavecreatedtheinternetadmins
> , sorry for the others which exist too )
> play with the code ask for help , have fun , have community , struggle
> with users and coders this is what  open source made off
> and makes it stronger than everything others

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but I'd like to point out
that you started with "you have enough examples for a normal setup
included.." then finish off with "tweaking setups is one of the great
thing with open source."

That's exactly what I wanted to do by suggesting a "Samba Script
Repository." Everyone will find some need to tweak and adjust their
scripts since it's not one-size-fits-all. If you're looking for that
custom tweak, why not be able to see if someone else has already done
it? Not all of us are not scripting experts. This is what's great about
Samba -- rather than assuming or forcing you to do something a certain
way, the Samba team has, by providing the *script= options in smb.conf,
allowed you to do it your way.

I just discovered that /usr/bin/gpasswd exists on my system. Would have
been nice if somewhere in the documentation it told me that it's what I
want to use for "add user script" and "delete user script"; this is the
first I've EVER heard of this utility, so a big thank-you goes out
to Robert.

--Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
jon at sutinen.com